Saturday, June 12, 2021

Looking For A Nice Squishy Spot To Land

Author's pose

So, yeah. My blog is a creaky little old lady, and sometimes she farts a little when she gets out of a chair, but she's still got most of her marbles, and God knows she's regular. She's had a data dump twice a week since December 2008 and hasn't missed once.

But someone should maybe be keeping an eye on her. And it probably shouldn't be me. I shouldn't be in charge of anybody. I don't pay attention. I'm the one who waits until the old lady is hobbling to discover she has an ingrown toenail, and then I look online for the cure and read:
    
    Simply <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8?>
    <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" media="screen" href="/~d/styles/atom10full.xsl"?>
    and wallah

Sorry, Grandma, you're just going to have to wait until it grows out.

Besides, I don't want just a blog. I want a real Author's Page like a real author. It is true most of my stuff started out between two ears and never made it between two covers. But I don't think this should disqualify me as a genuine Author. My God. You should see who got called President a few years back. You wouldn't believe it.

If I had an Author's Page, then if someone tripped across one of my essays somewhere and wanted to look me up, they'd have a nice squishy spot to land, all literary pudding and goodness. There would be a tab for my blog, nicely displayed against a friendly white background. There would be a tab for all my essays appearing elsewhere. There would be an About Me tab. An About Pootie tab. A Murrch tab (books, T-shirts).

People do trip over my stuff sometimes, and I know this because once someone took the trouble to figure out my email address and sent me a letter saying how much she liked my Christian Science Monitor essay. I was surprised and delighted, because I was not aware I had an essay in The Christian Science Monitor. I went to the liberry to look up the current issue and I will be goddamned if I wasn't right in there.

"Hi," I wrote to the editor, "I noticed you published my essay, and I was just wondering, were you planning to let me know?"
 
Or, you know, pay me?

I got an immediate and embarrassed response from the editor who swore this had never happened before. He said he loved my essay, and I should feel free to send him more. Shoot, I said. I can do this all day long. Give me a column.

He said No. They didn't want to feature any one writer too often. I sent him another. He took it. He's taken over fifty since then. He has rejected only three of my efforts, and those were because I might have trampled on Christian Science sensibilities. (That's something you can do without even knowing it.) It's been a swell ride.

Well, various outlets on the internet make it super easy to design an author page. As with everything else, you can create and launch such a thing without knowing the first thing about how it works. It's even free. I should do it. I've been saying that for years.

I've also planned to clean my house, but I don't. Grow up, Brewster, I say to myself. You can do it, but you won't. And so, slowly, I am beginning to employ a whole new-to-me method of contending with these issues. I am throwing money at them. Which means I should probably hire someone to build me an author page.

Someone who knows how to transplop my blog without losing my archives. Someone who speaks in code. Someone who won't push a button and make everything disappear. Someone who, clearly, is not me.

Ten years ago I wrote a bunch of copy for a web designer. It was supposed to be an exchange, but at the time I didn't know what I wanted in an Author's Page. And now it feels too late. I hate writing emails when I know the recipient is going to look at them and say Oh, Bother. Ten years ago, she'd think. My rates have gone up since then.
 
Mine haven't. I'm still free.

And so my little blog keeps hobbling along, threatening traffic with her walker and scowling at the internet. I just need someone who can get this old lady all the way across the street without a bladder leak.

19 comments:

  1. I thought to myself, "Murr was in the Christian Science Monitor??? Multiple times???" But, yes, I asked my frenemy, Google, by putting "christian science monitor, murr brewster" in the search engine, and sure enough... a veritable avalanche of Murr articles turned up. I will certainly enjoy reading these. I wish you had mentioned them before! I'm always looking for stuff to read on the internet that won't either utterly depress me or make me feel wildly superior to others. (There's self esteem, and then there's hubris. Unfortunately, when I see people like The Horned Guy from 1/6 insurrection, I start to feel like I must be on the level with Einstein. If that's actually the case, we are ALL in a worse situation than I apprehend.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say more than half of the essays I have in CSM are recycled Murrmurrs posts with all the poop and apatheism and references to decay and death stripped out, which practically makes them new essays, and the rest actually are new essays.

      Delete
  2. I hope an IT Angel comes along fast to make your/our dreams come true. I don't want to miss a word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise you words. They might just be in an old creaky frame.

      Delete
  3. Murr, if you like my website at https://jeremycantorpoet.com I can put you in touch with my webmistress, without whom it would look sorry indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have a look, thanks! (I mean, I've visited before, but not with an eye to the construction.)

      Delete
  4. Murrch! Mugs, tshirts, audio blogs. Priceless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I kinda need an author page just for that tab title.

      Delete
  5. Why does this all feel so damn' familiar?
    And now, of course, I've become a tight-fisted pensioner person and don't see why i should pay one of these IT giants. Also, I've sort-of stopped writing.Hell! Last week I spent half a morning drafting a grocery list. Forgot to take it with me.
    What were we talking about...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can identify! When I run errands, I draft a detailed list of where I have to go (using the most direct route to each place) and what I have to get when I go there (in the order I come across them as I go through the aisles.) At the VERY TOP of the list, I wrote in big, underscored letters: MONEY! ICE! (Ice because it was a hot day and I needed my ice packs for the cold bag that I keep in my trunk.) I brought my list with me, but I was filling my gas tank when I realized I had not brought either of those important things with me. Fortunately, I had enough money for gas, but I had to go back home to get the money and ice. I felt so stupid. I mean, it was at the top of the list!

      Delete
    2. Aha, but it was in capital letters, so you automatically ducked under it. You know, after all last year, I STILL get halfway down the street before I remember my mask.

      Delete
    3. Been there/done that. I think your demographic must be in the sixty plus range. Heck, maybe seventy plus. (I'm 80 plus and I love your blog!)

      Delete
  6. I clicked on your little you tube video there, It was so nice to hear the voice behind the writing, a lovely voice too. I hope you can find someone to help you with the author page and other changes you want to implement. and I hope I can still find you after it's all done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too. I will leave bread crumbs everywhere.

      Delete
  7. I'm with you on the housework versus writing issue. Today I have washed a shirt and squeezed some oranges.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hang in there ... let's just say I graduated from high school in 1969.

    ReplyDelete