Wednesday, June 12, 2019

PPSD: Phantom Pee Spot Disorder

You know that feeling when you've sat down on a toilet seat and there was a little drop of something on it but you don't realize it until you stand up again and there's that little cool spot on your butt that you hope is water? Hold that thought.

I'm at the age where people complain they were never warned about this or that health issue. Actually, I'm way past that age, because a lot of it happens during menopause. Or perimenopause. In fact perimenopause is one of the things that people say no one told them about.

So in case no one told you about it, perimenopause refers to the years right before authentic menopause in which your body is just experimenting with how it would be if all your youth-enhancing hormones disappeared. So one day they'll drain out and the next week they'll surge back and be all What do you think about me now and you won't know whether to laugh, cry, or stab someone just because. "Nobody told me my periods would get heavier and more frequent," people complain, nor do they mention that from time to time you will be passing something that looks like a small damp rodent, or that you will develop new moles everywhere, and then plant whiskers on them like flags, or that you will be asked to cut down on sleeping for a few years because you can sleep when you're dead which by the way is coming right up too.

That business about being all crabby because your hormones are in flux is something people do tell you about, but it's not true. You're crabby because you're just about at the age when it will become obvious you married the wrong person or wasted thirty years at the wrong job, or had more kids than you needed or will ever use, or you realized you didn't follow your dreams because you never had any to begin with even though everyone assumed you should.

They don't always tell you about pre-perimenopause, which would be the thirty years before perimenopause. If you're lucky someone will have warned your nine-year-old self about periods but even so that first one is still going to come as a big surprise, and like as not people will have glossed over some of the nastier details in favor of something more hopeful like "You're becoming a woman." So even with the basics, you can't always count on a ton of good information.

And as long as we're about it, they don't tell you about how unpredictable your periods are going to be, especially the whiz-bang very last one that happens two years after the one before and one year after you've gotten rid of all the paraphernalia, as soon as your last hormone can detect you're wearing white pants.

They don't tell you anything about fibroid tumors and when they do, it's because you already have them, and then they tell you they're usually benign, although not always. They don't mention that they like to sit on your bladder like a big fibroid joke.

They don't mention the connection between laughter and laundry.

There's stuff men don't get warned about either. Like peni-pendular recession, or the effect of scrotal gravity on the hairline. Nobody ever talks about that, but those bow-legged old men with gigantic foreheads didn't come out of nowhere.

And so as a public service I offer all of these observations to those who might otherwise complain that no one ever told them about them, and add the following:

Sometimes your body gets just a big kick out of itself and makes shit up. Like suddenly developing a dime-sized portion of your left buttock that feels just a little colder than the surrounding acreage and every time you pull your pants up you think: did I just sit on a wet spot on the toilet? Five times a day you think that, for a couple weeks, and then you realize your own buttock is doing  that to you for no reason medical science will ever discover. There won't be a name for it, or a ribbon-color for it, or a foundation devoted to its cure.

So don't let that come as a surprise.

26 comments:

  1. Here's another one to ponder when you're next at the doctor's office: you know that thing they stick on your finger to get pulse and oxygen sat? Ever seen anyone clean it? It's a warm enough temperature in that office for microbes to live for hours or longer, and that guy from the waiting room that coughed like he had TB was just in that room......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still can't figure out how it knows about the oxygen. I always hoped my finger could keep a secret.

      Delete
    2. If you ever actually want to know, I can tell you.

      Delete
  2. Having less internal plumbing is generally a good thing, but still there is stuff that no one ever mentioned before. I ask myself if I am sporting symptoms of a new disease/syndrome? Should I wait until my annual check up to ask my cute Nurse Practitioner about it? I am so glad she has small fingers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oy. Dave always prefers female doctors. He says they listen better. And have smaller fingers. Oooookay.

      Delete
  3. I was doing great but my doc kept asking if I didn’t have any difficulties due to my innards being all tipsy turny due to cooking up those three kids...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shoot, your uterus could probably deflect bullets by now.

      Delete
  4. "you will develop new moles everywhere, and then plant whiskers on them like flags" OMG and they arrive on your back or side so you get to occasionally forget about them until some strange little grandchild mentions it... or your loving husband tells you because you 'can't see it'....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's kind of sad when the best you can say for them is they're not dark. On the other hand, discovering your mole hairs have gone gray is a whole new level.

      Delete
  5. And, like a boat that's been in the water too long,you develop barnacles all over your skin. I mean, what's going on here?!@#$%

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, there's the scary stuff and the inconvenient stuff, and then there's the truly bizarre stuff!

    Ah, aging. "Better than the alternative." But some days, one starts to wonder about that old saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not complaining. I know better than that. But really? A phantom wet spot?

      Delete
  7. Sigh.
    My body is as much of a trickster as time. And sometimes they are cahooting away for all it is worth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Somewhere in these years, you begin to recognize how miraculous it was that any of it ever worked at all. Why, once upon a time, most of it worked all together! And so reliably, you skipped and cavorted with an excess of functioning....imagine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cavorted to the degree I shouldn't even be here. It's a miracle.

      Delete
  9. I hated that whole business and was glad to be done with it, so now I'm super annoyed at having to go back to wearing panty liners because of the number of times I wet myself (just a spit or two) because I'm having a coughing fit or laughing so much at something someone said or did. Those post-pregnancy pelvic floor exercises don't help one bit with this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got nothing. But for some reason it's gotten better. I'm not counting on it staying that way...

      Delete
    2. Oh, I'm super-grateful for pantiliners, for those very reasons! Much easier to change a liner than strip down to the undies for a change of clothing.

      Delete
  10. This 'mole' thing. During my getting-to-know-you physical my new doctor, who I have learned can be something of a wild card in the remarks dept, looked me over and asked; "Have you adopted a family of hedgehogs, or are those moles?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want your doctor. (And I suspect he's got openings in his schedule.)

      Delete
  11. Or it could be because your husband failed to raise the toilet seat.
    the Ol'Buzzard

    ReplyDelete